Read more about--> About Us   Blended Families   DIY   Discounts   Fitness & Weightloss   Make A Difference   Military Life   MilSo Businesses   Travel   TTC

Get Specific & Get What You Want

AWC > Fitness & Weightloss > Get Specific & Get What You Want


Last week we went over the Overload Principle and how important it is to improving fitness and maximizing your workouts.  I hope you are applying the overload principle into each of your workouts wether it's going a little longer or fighting for one more rep or trying something new.

advertisement

Today we are going to talk about another very important principle of fitness: specificity.  If you don't understand the specificity principle then you could be wasting your time in the gym on exercises and workouts that aren't getting you the results you want.

Specificity refers to the types of changes that occur in the body in response to training.  For example, when you do push-ups on a regular basis your pectorals, shoulder girdle muscles, biceps and triceps become stronger.  Or, if you join a spin class your heart and lungs become stronger and work more efficiently so that you can go faster and harder without losing your breath.

resistance training
Match your workouts to your goals.

I know it seems simple, and it really is; but what most people get tripped up on is matching their workouts to their goals.  Let's say I have a goal to have a more toned physique.  I decide to jog 2 miles, 3 days a week. After 6 weeks I may have dropped a couple pounds and my legs may look slimmer, but if I want a more toned physique I'm going to have to do more than jogging, right?  I'm going to have to include resistance training into my fitness regimen too.  Resistance (weight) training is the best way to help me develop my muscles and achieve a more toned body.

So here's what I want you to do this week:   
Evaluate your personal fitness goals and your current fitness routine.
Ask yourself:
  • Is my current fitness routine helping me reach my goals?
  • How can I tweak my fitness regimen to help me reach my goals quicker?
  • What resources do I have if I need help? (Please comment below if you have questions and I'd be happy to help!) 
It only takes a few minutes to and it's so worth it.  The more specific your workouts, the quicker you get what you want.

As always, you can find free weekly home workouts and healthy living tips at my WOWbodyNOW blog.


Click HERE to get to the Killer Workout of the Week.


*DISCLAIMER: Not all exercises are suitable for everyone and this or any other exercise program may result in injury. To reduce the risk of injury in your case, consult your doctor before beginning any exercise program. The instructions and advice presented are in no way intended as a substitute for medical counseling. The creators, producers, participants, distributors of this program and connected media disclaim any liabilities or loss in connection with the exercises and advice herein.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...