Read more about--> About Us   Blended Families   DIY   Discounts   Fitness & Weightloss   Make A Difference   Military Life   MilSo Businesses   Travel   TTC

Building with Army Wife Mickey- Table Edition

AWC > DIY >  Building with Army Wife Mickey - Table Edition


The table I used is the “ACCENT TABLE FOR SIMPLE MODERN OUTDOOR SECTIONAL” from the Ana-White.com site.




Schedule of my week of building

Most military families learn when we move any furniture made of particle board will not make it to the next duty station.  Now, I've never been much of a “girly girl” and I am by no means a carpenter! But with the help of Pinterest, Ana-White.com and the support of my awesome husband, I decided I wanted to make my own furniture that will not break.  My husband was all for it since that meant we were going to be making trips to Lowe’s and what guy doesn't like hearing “We need more tools”. 

Luckily enough, the plans I got off Ana White’s site which told me step by step what to do.  With no need to rediscover the wheel, I was on it and after a week’s work, my patio furniture is complete!!

My first goal was to make the table since it was smaller and had less cuts.  I was sure that if I could make the table I could tackle the chairs.

  Since the wood was going to be used outdoors I decided to buy Weather shield wood since they will be outside in the elements, but since I did use a deck sealant I’m not sure it really made a difference.
Here’s what I needed:
MATERIALS AND TOOLS


Shopping List: 
4 – 1×4 Boards, 8′ Length   
2″ Screws
1 1/4″ Screws
Wood Glue
Finishing Supplies
wood glue
wood filler
120 grit sandpaper
primer
wood conditioner
paint
paint brush

Tools: 
measuring tape
square
safety glasses
hearing protection
drill
circular saw
sander



This table is SUPER cheap to make!  If I had used another type oflumber it would have been cheaper, but of well.  Each of the 1x4 boards were $3.97 at Home Depot and I used the military discount which means I built this table for less than $15. 

Here  is the Cut List:
2 – 1×4 @ 21″ (Apron, Leg Side)
2 – 1×4 @ 22″ (Apron, Non-Leg Side)
2 – 1×4 @ 20 1/2″ (Slat Supports)
2 – 1×4 @ 23 1/2″ (Breadboard Ends)
6 – 1×4 @ 17″ (Slats)
4 – 1×4 @ 14 1/4″ (Legs)

What is great about the plans on this table, she gives you cutting instructions to help conserve wood.
Cutting Layout to Conserve Boards 1) 3 – 17″ Slats + 1 – 21″ Apron + 1 – 22″ Apron 2) 3 – 17″ Slats + 1 – 21″ Apron + 1 – 22″ Apron 3) 2 – 14 1/4″ Legs + 2 – 23 1/2″ Breadboard Ends 4) 2 – 14 1/4″ Legs – 2 – 20 1/2″ Slat Supports

Now she recommends that you cut, sand, then stain before you begin to build.  I cannot agree with her more!  Putting on that first coat of stain helps because if you wait until after, you will have plenty of trouble getting into all the nooks and crannies later. 

Here’s the schedule of my week of building:
Day 1: Cut wood for two chairs and table
Day 2: Sand and Stain all wood
*Stained front and all sides in the AM, wait 8 hours to dry, then stained back in the PM
Day 3:  Building Day (Table)/ Touchup paint/ let dry
In total, I spend about 3-4 hours to build it since I had a bit of a learning curve.  If I were to do it again it would probably take me 2.5- 3 hours to build
Day 4:  Add sealant (24 drying time)/ Build 1 chair/Touch up Chair/let dry
            The chairs took about 4-5 hours each to build
Day 5: Add sealant to chair #1/Build the other chair/touch up/ let dry
Day 6: Add sealant to chair #2

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...