Have you been hearing your Significant Other saying phrases you don't understand? Here's some acronyms & word definitions to help translate exactly what they are talking about.
- 4DAY PASS: Being excused for 4 consecutive days, 2 of which must be a weekend. Soldier does not lose LEAVE days when utilizing
- AAFES: Army & Airforce Exchange. Where you shop.
- ACU: Army Combat Uniform. Those cute green uniforms that we all love.
- AIRBORNE: The opposite of LEG. Jumps out of perfectly good aircraft.
- ASU: Army Service Uniform. Dress Blues. >RAWR<
- AWARDS: Recognition of an action or service. Usually worn as ribbon or pin on ASU's.
- BAH: Basic Allowance for Housing
- BADGES: Worn in recognition of an accomplishment on ACU's & ASU's
- BARRACKS: Housing provided to single Soldiers on post
- BAS: Basic Allowance for Subsistence
If a Soldier is in the barracks this is his meal card. Soldiers that are married or living off post are paid their BAS.
- CLOTHING & SALES: A store that sells ACU's, ASU's, PT's, BADGES & AWARDS
- CO: Commanding Officer
- COLA: Cost of Living Allowance. Commissary – This is received when you are not in CONUS. Those that are stationed in Hawaii, Alaska, Korea, Germany, or anywhere not in the 48 states.
- CONUS: Within the Continental United States (48 States)
- CQ: Charge of Quarters. 24 hour duty where a Servicemember is responsible the safety, good order, & discipline of the personnel that live the barracks.
- DECA: Defense Commissary Agency aka Grocery Store
- DEERS: Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System. You need to enroll in DEERS to get your military ID. After this step you can enroll TRICARE.
- DEPENDENT: Anyone that utilizes a Servicemembers benefits. This is usually a spouse or child of a Servicemember.
- DFAS: Defense Finance and Accounting Service. It's how a Military Servicemember is paid.
- DOD: Deparment of Defense
- ETS: End of Term of Service. When a Servicemember's contract ends
- FCP: Family Care Plan. Soldiers are are required to have a plan for their family for when they are deployed or away from their family for extended periods.
- FOBBIT: A Soldier that never goes on patrol during Deployment
- HHG: Household Goods
- ID: Your spouses Military Identification or you Military Dependent Identification
- IPFU: Improve Physical Fitness Uniform
- LEAVE: Service members earn 2.5 days of paid vacation days per month. That's 30 days a year!
- LEG: Low Energy Ground Trooper. A Soldier that does not jump out of a perfectly good aircraft.
- MILEAGE PASS: Permission to travel outside a designated radius during an otherwise off duty day
- MOS: Military Occupational Specialty. It's their job description. IE 68W=Healthcare Specialist
- OCONUS: Outside the Continental United States. Outside the 48 states.
- PCS: Permanent Change of Station otherwise known as Moving to a different Army Post
- POG: Personnel other than grunt. Generally refers to anyone that is not combat arms
- PROMOTION BOARD: An interview by senior ranking personnel to determine if an Enlisted Soldier is ready for promotion
- PT: Physical Training. It's why your spouse wakes you up so early in the morning.
- PT's: Physical Training Uniform AKA IPFU
- SSN: Social Security Number
- STAFF DUTY: 24 hour duty as the representative for the Battalion Command team.
- TDY: Temporary Duty
- TRIPS: Travel Risk Planning System. Must be filled out prior to request a 4DAY or MILEAGE PASS
- TSP: Thrift Savings Plan
- TRICARE: Insurance plan for Military Servicemembers and their dependents
- VA: Department of Veterans Affairs
Have we forgotten your favorite military acronym or word? Comment below.